This website is now 2 years old. Wow! Praise to Allah.
You’ll find very few articles here. That’s because I prefer to draft articles in private, reflecting on what I want to write and beautiful ways to express it. Or, I spend time improving what’s already been published. In the rare event of a new post, I send out a personal email first.
The key question when writing anything: Who is your audience? My answer: everyone, I hope. Every word here should be accessible to, and beneficial for, all of humanity. (At least the subset who speak English 😅.)
Muslims will be at home with the topics, themes and terms here. People who believe in other Abrahamic faiths will find a lot of familiar territory, helping them relate to the parts of Islam that are new to them. And people of different beliefs will benefit from a deep-dive into a fresh worldview that’s still remarkably relatable.
For that, I use English terms when writing. It keeps the articles welcoming for newcomers, while also phrasing known concepts in a fresh light for those used to Arabic terminology. I use the words God and Allah interchangeably, too.
At the same time, you’ll find the original Arabic word in [brackets]. This helps advanced readers: sometimes there’s only one English word to describe many different words found in Arabic. Or, sometimes I translate differently from others.
Also, if you enjoy the pictures featured on this site, visit this gallery to see more and learn about the photographers.
My name is: at the top of every page on this website! More than just identifying the author, this is because:
- To name this site something fancy could be a cause of arrogance. (Or an outlet for what’s already there!)
- It’s a warning that every word here is written by a random person you don’t know. A fancy name like Muslim Lamp (made-up example) could unintentionally mislead people, or help them forget that this site is no authority.
- To remind you that an ordinary person is producing something and trying, so there is no reason why you can’t do better and more!
- A ‘cool’ title like Lightning Claps (that’s my previous site, actually), can be improved or grow out of taste, causing problems later on.
- My name has been always been reserved online, so I intend to never let go of this website address!
I spend time studying the religion, writing for people (articles) and for machines (programming). I love it when I can combine all three, like with this website! I’m very interested in the humanities too.
Feel free to email me about anything from the link at the bottom 👇🏼