Throughout this site God is used instead of Allah, blessed and exalted is He, to make the writing more accesssible to all. Similarly any easily translatable term is always written in English.1 Finer terminology is followed by its Arabic original so no accuracy is lost by my interpretation (for every translation is an interpretation).
Please use the chat button on the bottom-right or the email button below to send any comment, suggestion or complaint.
This website is named after a person—not from any pride, he hopes, but because:
To name this site something fancy could give way to arrogance inside him.
It’s a disclaimer that all this is written by a random dude. A fancy name like Muslim Lamp (made-up example) could unintentionally mislead people or at least help them forget that such a site is no authority.
It’s a reminder that since this random person is producing something and trying, there is no reason why you can’t do better and more!
A ‘cool’ title like Lightning Claps (that’s his previous site, actually!), can be improved or just grow out of taste. But he can stick to his name.
All his life has gone by with his name already taken online, so he fully intends to never let go of this website address 😝.
“One hour of reflection competes with 60 years of worship.”
—The Prophet of God2, peace and blessings upon him
“He who knows himself knows his Lord.”
—Yaḥyā ibn Muʿādh ar-Rāzi3
“The fruit of reflection is love of God.”
“Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
—Martin Luther King, Jr.
“The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words.”
—William H. Gass
“Verily some eloquent rhetoric is as effective as magic.”
—The Prophet of God5, peace and blessings upon him
“If speech gives you pleasure, then remain silent; and if silence pleases you, then talk.”
“Sincerity is a sword that is never used against anything without cutting it.”
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.”
This site has been inspired and influenced by many living people, namely:
- Abu Aaliyah addresses a wide range of pertinent issues from the lens of faith. A highlight.
- James Clear systematically explains how to systematically improve your life. A highlight.
- Tim Urban deeply analyzes the things normally taken for granted, with humor. A highlight.
- The Ideal Muslim Man shows me how much a simple blog can help. A highlight.
- Celestine Chua writes articles that apply to me so much I wish I wrote them. A highlight.
- Maryam Amirebrahimi wrote tons of posts that really helped me when I was young(er!). A highlight.
- Shane Parrish shares ideas to live better. A highlight.
- Polymatter walks the tough line between quality information and entertainment. A highlight.
- Marijn Haverbeke freely gives away his incredible textbook on programming and only sells an optional hard copy—a beautiful system.
- Omar Abdl-Haleem wrote this one post that I have read more than any other. Life changing.
May God bless them all. That’s also a great reading/watching list for you!
- NF said “I’m just an artist who makes music for everybody.” Truly his words do flow with universal truths… this site hopes to do the same and be open and accessible for anyone to benefit. [return]
- Sourced from here, but explained better here (although cited with different wording). [return]
- StackExchange [return]
- Wording from here, but complete and accurate quote is probably this. [return]
- Sourced from here but translation is from elsewhere. [return]